The team is pleased to announce that Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 has been released to manufacturing (RTM) and is now available on the Microsoft Download Center!
The English version is available now and German, Spanish and French versions will be available on the Download Center soon. Windows Home Server customers who don't download it on their own will receive Power Pack 1 via Windows Update in August, and the new Chinese and Japanese versions will RTM in August, too.
As many know, Power Pack 1 provides a range of new enhancements, including support for home computers running Windows Vista x64 editions, backup of home server Shared Folders, improvements to remote access, more efficient power consumption and improved performance. And, of course, it delivers a fix for the data corruption bug. Documentation for Power Pack 1 (Build #1800, to those who have been part of the beta testing) is available here.
Our OEM partners will be updating their systems with Power Pack 1 and HP will release a software update for the HP MediaSmart Server, delivering enhanced media streaming capabilities from PacketVideo, server-side anti-virus from McAfee and compatibility with 64-bit home PCs.
Windows Home Server can now be purchased in 50 countries worldwide. And a growing ecosystem of third-party software developers have released or announced approximately 60 Add-in programs extending Windows Home Server's capabilities. The Windows Home Server SDK has been updated for Power Pack 1, too, including new support for the client PC side (i.e. notifications to/from home computers).
We continue to hear fantastic feedback from our customers about how Home Server is helping them protect their digital media, share it with friends and family, and access it from outside of the home. Thank you to our beta testers and partners for helping us ship Power Pack 1, and to the Home Server community as a whole for its ongoing support and enthusiasm.
The Windows Home Server Team
Complete installation instructions are available from the download page, but here is an overview.
- Click the Download button to start the download of the file called WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe to your home computer.
- On the Download dialog, click Save and then save the file to your home computer.
- Copy the file from your Home Computer to your Home Server by Double-clicking the Shared Folders on Server shortcut on your home computer desktop.
- Double-click the Software shared folder on your home server.
- Copy the file you downloaded above from your home computer to the Software shared folder on your home server.
- Connect to your Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop.
- Minimize or close the Windows Home Server caution window.
- Double-click the Shared Folders on Server shortcut on your home server desktop.
- Double-click the Software shared folder.
- Double-Click WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe and complete the installation wizard to install Power Pack 1. Your home server restarts after the wizard completes.
After you install Power Pack 1, check out these addition steps: