Corresponding with Microsoft’s Power Pack 1 release (get that first if you haven’t already), HP has released a software update for the HP MediaSmart Server. This update delivers enhanced media streaming capability from PacketVideo, server-side anti-virus protection from McAfee and prepares the HP MediaSmart Server for compatibility with 64-bit operating systems.
The software update is available now via an automatic update, or users can select “Check for Updates” in the Windows Home Server console. If you’re like me, you want the update NOW.
Here’s how you can get it:
- Open the Windows Home Server Console (i.e. double click on the tray icon)
- Click on the MediaSmart Server tab and click on the Check for Updates link
- If a few seconds the download will start.
- You may see this dialog if you may not previously installed the April update. If so that’s ok. Just install that first, then repeat the procedure until there are no further updates. Otherwise just skip to the net step.
- You should then see this dialog. Click Next and follow along.
- After a few minutes the setup will complete and you are done!
- You will likely see a client alert, which you can optionally install below.
Install the McAffe Software
If you want to install the optional McAffee software (and a few others that may be available), follow these directions. If not, skip to the next section.
- Once again, Open the Windows Home Server Console
- Click on the Settings button
- Click on the Add-ins tab
- Click on the Available Add-Ins tab and install to your heart’s content
No Thanks Mr. McAffe
If you DON’T want to install McAffe (and don’t want the constant nagging):
- Open the Windows Home Server Console
- Click on Network at Risk
- Check the “Ignore this issue” box and the warning will go away.