HP has rebranded it's MediaSmart Server line and is targeting the small business. The lowdown is that this is basically the same machine as the MediaSmart Server, but comes with a dual core CPU (Intel E5200) and larger hard drives out of the box (1TB and 1.5TB dependin on model). The OS is the same Windows Home Server that we know and love. Watch this space for a complete Home Server Hacks style unboxing in the days to come.
Pricing is as follows:
|X510 1TB (1 x 1TB)||$699|
|X510 2TB (2 x 1TB)||$859|
|X510 3TB (2 x 1.5TB)||$999|
Here is the complete press release:
Small business owners invest a tremendous amount of time, money and resources to make their ventures successful. Addressing immediate business concerns often means postponing or overlooking technology investments that could impact the bottom line. One of those areas often overlooked are data storage and protection needs. This can lead to missed revenue opportunities through poorly managed data or the inability to rebound from major data loss.
The HP StorageWorks X500 Data Vault Series is a new family of storage devices that help small businesses remain competitive by protecting important business data, easily sharing files regardless of location, and automating backups.
“Small businesses need storage technology that lowers risk by quickly bringing data back online if a disaster occurs. It can also increase productivity by sharing and remotely accessing files outside the office,” said Lee Johns, director of marketing, Unified Storage Division, HP. “The HP StorageWorks Data Vault is easy to install, offers data protection and file sharing at an affordable price for small businesses with limited technology resources and budgets.”
A complete storage solution
The HP StorageWorks X500 Data Vault Series enables small businesses with up to 10 PC clients and Mac’s to easily store information in a central place. Business owners also save money through a low purchase price, which is up to 22 percent less than comparable solutions.(1)
The HP StorageWorks X500 Data Vault Series covers all aspects of storage needs that are important to a small business, including:
- Data storage – customers can meet demanding storage needs with up to three terabytes of storage space and virtually unlimited expansion capabilities that add capacity without powering down the device.
- Data protection – customers can ensure data protection in the event of failure by automatically backing up their clients daily. Customers have added protection by choosing which files are most important, and with the click of a mouse, duplicate that folder to a second hard disk drive.
- Data sharing – customers can share files on their local network through an easy-to-use control panel. Users can also collaborate on projects through Microsoft Windows Home Server, which allows secure remote access to business files.
Larger customers who need high availability or want to simplify data management and grow storage capacity can leverage the HP StorageWorks X1000 and X3000 Network Storage Systems, which consolidate file and block data into a unified storage solution.
The HP StorageWorks X500 Data Vault Series is available in select regions worldwide. The first in the family, the HP StorageWorks X510 Data Vault, starts at $699.(2)
(1) The HP StorageWorks X510 Data Vault costs 22 percent less than the Buffalo Terastation III 2TB product.
(2) Estimated U.S. street price. Actual price may vary. Available in the U.S., Canada, Western Europe, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.